5 Essential Skills for Nurses
Have you ever thought of a career in nursing? Besides all of the gratifying experiences this profession can provide, there are 5 essential skill sets that every nurse should have in order to be successful.
- Communication Skills: Having the ability to gather information and convey messages accurately and concisely are key attributes that all nurses must possess and develop throughout their career. Nurses who take information from patients, physicians or hospital administrators must listen carefully, take accurate notes and encourage patients to open up to ensure a uniform flow of communication.
- Compassion: A nurse must exhibit a sincere concern for the patient’s care – physically, mentally and emotionally. Though this may be difficult in stressful emergency situations, a compassionate nurse can make the difference in the overall treatment of a patient. Successful nurses balance emotion and compassion on a daily basis when caring for sick patients.
- Critical-Thinking Skills: There will be many times when a nurse will be the only health professional in the room with a patient. Being able to identify necessary steps can be crucial to a patient’s health. Quick assessment skills will prove to be beneficial for both the nurse and the patient when developing a treatment plan.
- Organizational Skills: Nurses today have an overwhelming number of patients they will be working with on a daily basis. It is important that a nurse can work with a hospital’s organizational system and be prepared at all times. Faulty organizational skills could lead to a medical mistake with serious consequences on a patient’s health.
- Patience: Various personalities coupled with discomfort, stress and an emergency situation will have a negative impact on many patients. It is important for a nurse to remain calm and understanding when dealing with patients. A smooth tone and pleasing personality will result in a more pleasant and less stressful environment for everyone.
Are you ready to change careers and become a nurse? Now is the time to turn your current bachelor’s degree into an advanced nursing degree at Northeastern. Contact us today to get started.