Quick Preparation Tips for a New Semester of Nursing School
It’s the first day of fall classes for Northeastern’s Boston nursing programs! Whether it’s your first semester or fourth, a little preparation goes a long way to starting the term on the right foot. Here are some quick tips to help you do just that.
Note: If you’re well into a program like Direct Entry Nursing, these suggestions probably mirror what you’re already doing. If you have new tips to offer, share them with us in the comments section.
- Plot out your schedule: And not just labs, clinicals and exam days. Reserve time to watch lectures and complete assignments. Block out study time. Be sure to keep a copy of your schedule in plain sight so family, roommates and the like can easily see your free and busy times.
- Reclaim your study space: Archive materials from the previous semester that you no longer need. Mount a cork board for keeping key documents such as course syllabi at your finger tips. Take your favorite quotes and post them at eye level.
- Buy your school supplies: Think beyond the usual pens and notebooks! Stock up on ink and paper for your printer. Install relevant updates on your computer and phone. Evaluate the condition of your clinical uniform.
- Update your skills: Resume, LinkedIn profile – whatever your preference, capture highlights and accomplishments from the previous semester (if applicable) in writing. Reflect on clinicals while they’re fresh so you can easily sum up your experience. Articulate how your past education and work experience contribute to your success as a nurse. The way you talk about your skills will change as you progress in school, but practice makes perfect.
- Plan ahead: With Halloween fanfare already on display in retail stores, it’s evident that the holidays aren’t far off. Adopt a realistic attitude now regarding what you can take on, and be vocal about it. For example, if you have two clinicals this semester, don’t feel pressured to host Thanksgiving. It’s okay to sit out a field trip or two. Be kind to yourself this year!
Curious about our Direct Entry Nursing Program in Boston? Call us at 866.892.3819 or let us contact you.